Wednesday, February 27, 2013

A Good Marriage With Mistakes - One Day At A Time

Hey everyone, today Tasha from One Day at a Time is visiting the Cafe, so grab a coffee and join us in saying welcome...


I just so happened to make this around Valentine's Day, but this was not an actual gift.  Well maybe it was....to both of us.  I saw something similar to this for sell online and knew I could come up with my own version.  I always have "stuff" around to create things. 

I love this quote from Martin Luther!  Exactly how I think a marriage should be.  Always showing love and value for each other.  And the anticipation of wanting to spend time together.  Yes, I am still madly in love with my husband! 

And my nightstand was lacking some wall art above it.  This was perfect.

After Brant cut the wood I filed down the edges and painted it a country blue.  I had the scrapbook paper in my stash and simply printed out the quote. Then I used my trusty Homemade Mod Podge to apply the papers.  You'll notice the paper has an antiqued look. That is from the Distress Stain.  I have no idea what this stuff is really far, but I found it one day at Hobby Lobby and knew it would come in handy for my love of all things old and worn looking. 

I squeezed a little of the stain in a small bowl and added just a little Mod Podge.  Stirred it up and created a colored Mod Podge.


I started out only going to "color" the white copy paper with the quote on it, but soon painted it all over.  Even the wood!





As I started to go back and add the colored Mod Podge all over I saw this.  That spot was trouble!



Well GREAT!  Now what?  I knew I had to add some sort of embellishment to cover this up.  Quickly I started rummaging through all my craft boxes and remembered all my buttons.



Perfect idea!!!!



And here it is with the buttons glued and everything dry.



I love the way it turned out.  And now our bedroom has a pretty piece of wall art with a wonderful quote to live by.  I thank God for my husband and want to be a blessing to him as much as he is to me.



OK now I have a question for you all to see how observant you are.  Because let me tell you I literally did not catch this until I was typing up this post. 

Did anyone notice I spelled Luther WRONG?!?!

Yep, he is Martin Luther, NOT Martin Lutcher!!!  I have looked at this for days as I was working on it! And my husband who usually catches ANY error I make did not catch it either. 

Now folks that is very typical for me.  Spell check is my BFF!!!  But this time that did not work because "Lutcher" is an actual word/name.  But not the right one for this man. 

So what do I do from here?  All the work I have done will remain on my wall.....at least for now.
 It's the quote I love, not the man who said it. 

**And to the curious minds wondering why I even posted this since I messed up a project, well I like to keep things REAL!**

13 comments:

  1. I love that saying and have tried to live by it! What a great project Danni....mistakes and all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as I would love to take credit for this...Tasha from "One Day At a Time" is guest posting here for us today and she made this fabulous project!

      Delete
  2. Marriage is kind of work around the mistakes kind of proposition. How perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay you for keeping real, seriously I would do something like that! It's still a beautiful quote and the error can be a reminder that while we make mistakes there can always be beauty xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tasha, this is one great project! I don't know what I love more about it, the saying, the buttons, or the scrapbook paper frame! Guess I just love it all! So very cute...mistake and all! (which I did not notice until you pointed it out!) Thank you so much for guest posting here today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much ladies for your kind words!!!! And thank you for letting me share my little project. It was fun to make :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it!! I think it is original! One of a kind... I love the saying I had never heard of that one..
    You are so talented!!! wanna make me one? LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it is original alright! Martin Luther is a favorite of mine.
      Thanks!

      Delete
  7. What a great saying! I love it. Think I'll have to make something using it. Thanks for guest posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather! It was fun to make it for me and my husband to share.

      Delete
  8. What a wonderful quote! I wrote it down on a card and will slip it into his lunch bag for tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So Mary, did you put the quote in his lunch bag? That is such a great idea!!!!!

      Delete
  9. I love it and wouldn't change a thing, not only do you have the story of my husband cut the wood and I made this saying for us. You also have a great story about the misspelled word!

    ReplyDelete