Friday, April 5, 2013

A Thrifted Horse from Tara @ Suburble

Hi All!

I'm Tara from Suburble: a blog about life in the 'burbs and the calamity and hilarity that comes along with it. I'm thrilled to be guest posting at the Inspiration Cafe today. Huge thanks to Danni from Silo Hill Farm for the invitation!

Today I'm sharing my little Golden Horse. He is my thrifty masterpiece!


I love thrift stores. In my books, they're a very close second to garage sales (because the ability to barter trumps the "Say whaa...?" prices that I occasionally see in the second-hand stores). The trouble is, in the damp, nearly-spring weather, garage sales are few and far between.

I was browsing the aisles of our local thrift store with Lucy - my little helper - trailing along behind me, when I came across this gorgeous sight:


Yes. It's a plastic draft horse with full (broken) harness. You're confused. It's okay.

Unlike every other person who had walked past this toy, I stopped and considered it. I had recently seen a post at Rain on a Tin Roof where Jenna took a toy horse and spray painted it into majestic wonderment.

I could feel my fingers twitch. This was potential mantel art! For $5!


I brought the little guy home, and relieved him of his tack. He wasn't looking any better. In fact, I had now revealed little patches of glue where his bridle and harness were attached. He looked more plasticky, if that was even possible. I could feel my stomach sink a little. Maybe this wasn't going to work out? Maybe a dumpy little plastic horse was just that?


Thankfully, two buddies showed up to reassure me: Bin (which is a primer that sticks to pretty much anything - so be careful!) and Rustoleum Metallic spray paint. I'd done my research; Rustoleum Metallic is supposedly the best and most realistic gold spray. I took all three of my fellas outside and got to work.

I primed the horse first, and then waited 30 minutes - as per instructions - before I used the gold paint. I don't know that I really needed to prime the horse, but because it's plastic, I didn't want to take a risk. For some reason, plastic is a tough nut to crack when it comes to painting.

After two even coats of gold splendour, my awkward, glue-spotted horse became this majestic creature:


You are, Golden Beauty. You are.


I'm thrilled to bits with this gold-nugget-in-the-rough. He's an impressive little piece that stands on the mantel. Gold is very "in" right now, and I'm seeing it everywhere. And when I can save a buck (or twenty) while being on trend? Sign me up for the Happy Dance Club.

Or, maybe don't. I'm not sure that club would want a Sarcastic Sally like me as a member.

Either or, I'm amazed at what a little bit of time and even less paint can do to revamp a piece. I'll admit that I've become enamoured with spray paint (not in the sniffing-'cause-it-smells-so-gooooood way, don't worry) and have been looking for projects all over the house. Watch out, inanimate objects! Things are about to become disco-fabulous in a big way!


22 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing what paint can do Danni? I mean absolutely amazing!
    Now if we could only spray paint all the ugly in the world away with a can of paint!
    Looks adorable!
    Hugs,
    Moi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spray paint is amazing! Thanks for the lovely compliments, Suzan!

      Delete
  2. Tara I can't believe how cute this is! What a difference a little spray paint makes. Mother's everywhere will be raiding their kids toy boxes to make one for themselves. Thank you for guest posting here at the Inspiration Cafe today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for having me! I'm so thrilled to be here among all of this fabulousness!

      And you're so right... spray paint is the best make-up for any accessory!:)

      Delete
  3. Oh Tara I love your horsey thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need me some disco fabulous NOW!!! Such a fun project, my daughter and I love anything that's golden!!! and we love sarcasm in this club! so you are welcome any time!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl, don't we ALL need some disco fabulous? Gold spray paint has changed the way I view almost anything plastic. (There's also a mirror that I've been hankering to get a bit of gold on too...)

      Sarcastic gals unite!

      Delete
  5. Haha...I love the "I'm so pretty" picture! Awesome!

    -andi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Me too! If ever a horse was golden, I think he would know he was gorgeous. Horses are like that; they're a bit full of themselves. ;)

      Delete
  6. He is a golden beauty, Tara!! It's great how those plastic molds can really capture the detail because now that you've painted him golden, all of his beautiful horse detail really shows through. He looks classy enough to be placed on a mantel in Downtown Abbey:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you, Amy. I love that you dubbed him "classy enough for Downton Abbey". That's quite the compliment! :)

      Delete
  7. Your horse turned out just fabulous Tara! Love that magical spray paint!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness!!!! I love this - now I'm thinking of all the plastic stuff I've thrown out that I could have done this too!!!! Fantastic transformation Tara - please come back and share more xx Nat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I've got a whole new perspective on plastic things (especially animal-type things). They can be upcycled into beautiful objet d'art! (Or really... something less awkward than a plastic draft horse in broken faux-leather harness).

      And thank you for asking me to come back. I'm really loving this group of supportive and awesome ladies. I'm so honoured to be invited here!

      Delete
  9. I love that I am seeing this beautiful post again! How wonderful to be featured at Inspiration Cafe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you, Amy! This little horse has a lot of "oomph" in him. He likes to show off.

      It IS pretty fabulous to have a bit of space here at the Cafe!

      Delete
  10. I love your Gold Horse...what a great transformation and great tip! He looks so awesome!!! I want a gold horse now!!! Thank you so much for the great share at the Cafe!!!

    ReplyDelete